Homemade Cauliflower Cheese Bake
Cauliflower Cheese Bake has to be one of the classic ways to enjoy cauliflower in the UK. As a side dish to a traditional Sunday Roast, or a quick mid-week table filler, cauliflower cheese will always remain popular! Tender pieces of cauliflower coated in a silky, cheesy sauce… what’s not to love?
This recipe was created for us by food blogger and proper home cook, Katie Davies. In 2018 Katie was a Quarter Finalist on Britain’s Best Home Cook (ITV). You can visit her Instagram page here!
- 45 minutes
- Serves: 4-6
- 1 Blas y Tir Cauliflower, cut into florets
- 2 rashers of Streaky Bacon, cut into strips
- 1 Blas y Tir Leek, finely sliced
- 60g Welsh Butter
- 60g Flour
- 580ml Milk
- 150g Cheddar Cheese, grated
- 2 tbsp Wholegrain Mustard
- 80g Cheddar Cheese, grated (for topping!)
- Sea Salt & Black Pepper, to season
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°C, Gas Mark 6.
- Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil, then add the cauliflower. Cook for 2 minutes, then drain. Once cooled slightly, add the par-boiled cauliflower to a large roasting dish.
- In a frying pan, add the strips of bacon and sliced leeks. Cook on a medium heat until the bacon is turning crispy and the leeks are soft. Once cooked, spoon the bacon mix over the top of the cauliflower in the roasting dish.
- Add the butter to a large saucepan and melt over a medium heat. Once the butter has just melted, add the flour and stir continuously to combine into a thick paste. Remove this from the heat and gradually add the milk, stirring as you add. Return the mix back to the heat and whisk continuously until the mixture thickens. Once the mixture is thick (and resembles a custard-like texture), remove the mix from the heat. Add the grated cheese and mustard to the sauce mixture. Season if wanted.
- Pour the cheese sauce over the top of the cauliflower mix in the roasting dish, then top with the additional cheese.
- Cook the cauliflower cheese bake in a pre-heated oven for approximately 20-25 minutes until golden brown.
- Serve immediately!
You can prepare the entire dish the night before a big gathering! Simply make the bake up to the point of popping it into the oven, and instead cover the roasting dish and leave in the fridge overnight. Once required, remove the cover and put the dish into the oven for the 20-25 minutes required to complete cooking. Simple!