Cauliflower & Potato Fritters
A classic way to use up leftovers; fritters are a simple mixture of vegetables, meat or other ingredients, bound together with a silky batter and lightly fried. These cauliflower and potato fritters are packed full of vegetables (including leftover mashed potatoes!) and are perfect for enjoying both hot and cold.
- 10 minutes (with leftovers)
- Serves: 5 (4 Fritters per person)
- 800g Blas y Tir White Potatoes, mashed
- 1 medium Blas y Tir Cauliflower, washed and chopped into medium-sized chunks
- 1 Blas y Tir Leek, washed and very finely sliced
- 100g Frozen Peas
- 60g Spinach, washed
- 1 tbsp dried Tarragon
- Sea Salt & Black Pepper, to season
For the Batter (this is for 4 fritters – the recipe above makes 20, so you will need to make this batter 5 times to use it all):
- 4 tbsp Gram Flour
- 100 ml Water
- 1 tsp Ground Turmeric
- 1 grind of Black Pepper
For Frying (per 4 fritters):
- 1/2 tbsp Rapeseed Oil
- You will need 2 bowls, a large non-stick frying pan, a large pan for the potatoes, a food processor for the cauliflower (or use a knife to chop finely), a baking tray and a preheated oven to 150°C.
- Make the mashed potato if you are using fresh mashed potatoes. If you are using leftover mashed potatoes, skip to step 3.
- Place the cauliflower into the food processor and pulse several times until it resembles cauliflower rice. Place the cauliflower rice into a large bowl and stir in the finely chopped leeks, frozen peas and spinach. Add the tarragon and season with salt and pepper.
- In another large bowl make the batter by gradually adding the 100ml of cold water to 4 tbsp gram flour, stirring continually. Add the ground turmeric and black pepper and continue to stir until smooth. *You will use these quantities for every 4 fritters.
- To the cauliflower and leek mixture, add the mashed potatoes and combine well using a spoon.
- Add 4 heaped tablespoons of the potato, cauliflower and leek mixture to the bowl with the batter and combine well until the batter is evenly mixed in.
- Place 1/2 tablespoon of oil into the frying pan and heat on a medium setting until it starts to sizzle. Turn the heat down and scoop 1/4 of the potato, cauliflower, leek and batter mixture into the frying pan and then flatten with the back of the spoon until flat and round. Continue doing this with each of the 4 quarters. If your frying pan isn’t big enough, do 2 at a time.
- Once the potato fritters have fried for a few minutes on each side and have become crispy, place them on a baking tray and leave in the oven whilst you fry the rest of the fritters. This will keep them warm!
- Repeat the process like above; making the batter mixture, adding the potato and cauliflower mixture and frying in batches of 4 until you have used all of the mixture. Keep placing cooked fritters on a baking tray in the heated oven to keep them warm until you’re finished.
- Serve immediately or allow to cool on a rack. The fritters are equally as delicious hot, warm or cold!
Serve hot with a simple salad, warm instead of bread with a delicious bowl of soup, or cold as a super snack on the go!
This recipe makes 20 potato fritters so you can halve the ingredients to make 10, or make the full 20 and keep any extras in the fridge for breakfast/lunch boxes/snacks the following day!