Francis Atkins’ Potato and Pea Presse with Herb Dressing
This is a delicious and easy starter is created by ‘Great British Chefs’ professional chef Frances Atkins, and uses our award-winning Pembrokeshire Early Potatoes!
“Frances Atkins’ new potato and pea presse is a celebration of that glorious time of year when spring edges into summer, and is packed with fresh, seasonal ingredients. It is a great dish for a dinner party as it can be made in advance and warmed through when guests arrive. If you can’t track down any wild garlic for the herb dressing try using mint or tarragon.”, Great British Chefs.
This starter is sure to impress at any dinner party, and can be prepared well in advance, saving time!
- 60 Minutes, plus chilling time
- Serves 4
- 500g of Pembrokeshire Early Potatoes
- 80g of Shallots, diced
- 100g of Welsh Butter
- 105g of Fresh Peas, shelled
- 8g of Mint
- 8g of Sugar
- 8g of Wild Garlic
For the herb dressing:
- 20g of Wholegrain Mustard
- 50g of Cider Vinegar
- 20g of Honey
- 75g of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 75g of Vegetable Oil
- 5g of Sea Salt
- 10g of Wild Garlic, or herbs of your choice
For the garnish:
- One handful of Pea Shoot
- Wash the Pembrokeshire Early potatoes and place in a pan, cover with cold water and season. Bring to the boil and reduce the heat, leaving the potatoes to simmer until soft.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a pan and add the chopped shallots, heating until the shallots have softened. Drain the butter through a fine sieve and reserve. Discard the shallots.
- Bring a pan of salted water to the boil and blanch the peas for 2-3 minutes until cooked. Refresh the peas in iced water then dry on kitchen paper and remove any small skins.
- Chop the wild garlic and mint and mix with the sugar. Roughly chop the potatoes and peas and mix everything together.
- Line a loaf tin with a double layer of clingfilm. Pack the mixture tightly into the tin and cover with clingfilm, the press with a weight and chill for at least 6 hours.
- To make the herb dressing: Combine the cider vinegar, mustard, honey, salt and wild garlic together in a blender. With the blender on a low speed, slowly drizzle in the oils until emulsified.
- To serve, remove the presse from the tin and cut into portions. Arrange on the plate with the herb garnish and garnish with pea shoots.