Herby Potato Savoury Pancakes
A great alternative for pancake day, these savoury pancakes are absolutely bursting with flavour! Fresh chives, parsley, tarragon, garden peas and spring onions are all held together in a crispy potato shell. Serve with a leafy salad for a light teatime snack, or with a deliciously thick gravy for proper comfort food. Don’t worry if they aren’t perfectly round – they’ll taste just as good no matter what shape they are!
- 30 mins
- Makes: 10
- 850g pre-cooked, cold Mashed Potatoes (Leftovers would be perfect!
- 200g Frozen Peas
- 5 Spring Onions, washed & chopped
- 20g fresh Chives, finely chopped
- 20g fresh Parsley, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp dried Tarragon
- 2 tbsp Garlic Granules
- Salt & Pepper, to season
- Place the frozen peas into a bowl and cover with freshly boiled water for 5 minutes to cook.
- Once the peas are cooked, place the drained peas, chopped herbs, tarragon, spring onions, dried garlic (amount to taste) and season the mix with salt & pepper.
- Mix everything together.
- Gradually add the mashed potatoes into the mixture, stirring as you add until everything is incorporated and all of the mashed potatoes are combined well with the herb mixture.
- Now, use clean hands to form a ball (approx. the size of a tennis ball). Compress the mixture by squeezing it together until you have a dense ball structure formed.
- Place the ball onto a flat surface and roll it out to for the pancake shape. Use a rolling pin and a piece of baking paper to prevent it sticking.
- Cut a round shape to roughly about 10cm wide. A bowl or a ramekin dish is a perfect stencil for this!
- Heat a little oil in a frying pan on a low heat and place the potato pancake in the pan. Cook on each side for about 4 minutes, or until cooked through and golden. Continue until you have used all of the mixture.
- Serve with a side salad or a good drizzle of thick homemade gravy.
Why not try adding even more vegetables to this mixture? Use up any leftover vegetables you may have from a previous meal to create different flavour combinations.