Leek and Courgette Vegan Pie
This contemporary Leek and Courgette Vegan Pie was created for us by food blogger, The Balanced Kitchen. This oven baked dish will warm and nourish the whole family and is perfect for a mid-week meal, or lazy lunch!
Visit The Balanced Kitchen’s Instagram page for more vegan foodie inspiration, like this delicious Leek and Courgette Vegan Pie.
- 30 minutes
- Serves 4
- 340g Parsnips, peeled, diced
- 500g Butter Beans (drained weight – approx. 2 cans)
- 1 cup of any plant based Milk
- 2 large cloves of Garlic, finely chopped
- Vegan Cheese, grated
- 1 small Onion, diced.
- 2 Blas y Tir Leeks, sliced.
- 2 Carrots, diced
- 2 Courgettes, grated
- 300g frozen Quorn Mince
- 500g Passata
- 150ml Vegetable Stock
- Few sprigs of fresh Rosemary
- Salt and Pepper
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C.
- Steam the diced parsnips for 10 minutes, until soft enough to mash.
- Add the parsnips, butter beans, half the milk, half the chopped garlic and a pinch of seasoning to a large bowl. Mash until smooth, gradually adding more milk if need be. Place bowl to one side while you prepare the filling.
- Add the diced onion, sliced leeks, diced carrots and finely chopped garlic to a reasonably large saucepan with a drop of oil. Sauté gently for 4 minutes.
- Once the mix is slightly softened, add the grated courgette, Quorn mince, passata, vegetable stock and a few sprigs of fresh rosemary to the pan and bring the mix to a simmer. Season with salt and pepper and leave on a gentle simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Transfer the mince and vegetable mix to a baking dish and top with the parsnip mash. Sprinkle the grated vegan cheese over the mashed parsnip topping.
- Place the pie into the oven for a few minutes, ensuring the pie is heated throughout and the vegan cheese topping forms a delicious crust.
This is a great recipe to prepare ahead and can even be frozen – just leave the vegan cheese topping until you’re ready to cook. Remember, if you’re freezing the mix you’ll need to allow it to thaw thoroughly in the fridge for 24 hours before using.