Pembrokeshire Earlies with Chilli and Lime Butter
Food writer Shu Han Lee brings her love of seasonal British food with a Singapore twist in this glorious Pembrokeshire Earlies with chilli and lime butter side dish. The zingy chilli and lime butter combined with the potatoes creates an ideal summer side for any occasion, and as the butter keeps for a week and freezes for months, you can also make extra to keep for the next time. It’s also delicious melted over seared steak or grilled/steamed fish and vegetables!
“(Pembrokeshire Earlies are) much smaller, with a delicate, nutty, and almost sweet flavour. Because they taste so good, there is not much you need to do to them. I don’t even bother peeling their paper-thin skins off; in fact there’s wonderful flavour and nutrition in the skins. I simply give the potatoes a good wash, boil or steam them, and then stir in a dollop of butter, letting the butter melt over their warm skins”
“To change things up a bit, I often make flavoured butters. My current favourite combination uses chilli and lime for a bit of a kick and refreshing zing. The spicy, tangy and buttery Pembrokeshire Earlies are a perfect accompaniment to a simple fresh salad, or lightly grilled fish and meat.”, Shu Han Lee.
- 30 minutes
- Serves 3
- 500g of Pembrokeshire Earlies
For the Chilli & Lime Butter:
- 1 large pinch of Sea Salt
- 100g of Unsalted Welsh Butter, softened at room temperature
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 Lime, juiced, and plus the zest of half the lime
- 1 Bird’s Eye Chilli, chopped
- Stir together all of the ingredients for the chill and lime butter, mixing well to make sure everything is well distributed.
- Cover and set aside for the flavours to meld while you cook the Pembrokeshire Earlies. You can also make this ahead and place it in a small bowl in the refrigerator; just bring it up to room temperature before serving.
- Rinse the potatoes. Leave the smaller ones whole, and halve any larger ones. Boil the potatoes in plenty of salted water until tender, for about 10-15 minutes. Drain well in a colander and allow to steam-dry for 5 minutes.
- Transfer the potatoes to a large bowl. Spoon the chilli and lime butter over, letting it melt over the warm potatoes. Toss to make sure everything is well coated and serve you Pembrokeshire Earlies with chilli and lime butter immediately.
This a a great side dish, and is quick and easy for any mid-week meal!