How to Cook the Perfect Jacket Potato!
This step by step guide for the perfect jacket potato is a fool-proof way to make a great-tasting jacket potato every time. Of course, great flavour starts with great ingredients, and here at Blas y Tir we pick varieties that work particularly well as jacket potatoes, such as Rudolph Potatoes, Maris Piper Potatoes and our wonderful red Rudolph Potatoes.
We’ve used Rudolph Potatoes in this recipe, which are available in Tesco, Morrison’s and Waitrose stores throughout Wales!
- 1hr 10 minutes
- Serves: 4
- 4 good-sized Blas y Tir Rudolph Potatoes, Maris Piper Potatoes or Baking Potatoes
- Drizzle of Olive Oil
- Pinch of good quality Sea Salt
- Knob of Welsh Salted Butter, to serve
- Wash the potatoes gently under cold running water. Pat dry using kitchen towel and place the potatoes on a large baking tray.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C, Gas Mark 7.
- Drizzle each potato individually with a little olive oil.
- Add a pinch of salt to the top of each potato.
- Transfer the potatoes to the oven and cook for about 20 minutes.
- After the potatoes have been cooking for 20 minutes, turn the oven down to 180°C, Gas Mark 5 and bake for a further 45 minutes until the skin is crisp and golden.
- Carefully remove the baking tray from the oven.
- Using a sharp knife, make a cross in the top of each potato, being careful of the escaping steam.
- Transfer the potatoes to serving plates and add a knob of butter to each individual potato.
- Serve immediately!
Jacket potatoes can be enjoyed with a range of traditional toppings, such as beans, cheese, tuna, chilli or prawns. If you’re looking for a topping that’s a little different, why not check out our recipes for jacket potato toppings with a twist here!