Leek Risotto with Prawns & Peas
We love a one-pot dinner here at Blas y Tir, and this Leek Risotto with Prawns & Peas ticks that box perfectly. Although a risotto requires a little attention and a certain amount of stirring whilst the risotto rice absorbs the stock, it’s a straight forward process that delivers excellent results. Our wonderful Welsh leeks give the leek risotto mix a lovely sweetness and pack the flavour in, and the addition on Parmesan to the leek risotto mixture really adds a creamy richness to the dish!
- 30 mins
- Serves: 4
- 1.5 litres Fish or Chicken Stock
- 200g Prawns, raw
- 3 large Leeks, finely chopped
- 190g Peas
- 1 Onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves Garlic, crushed
- 300g Risotto Rice
- 125ml White Wine
- 50g Parmesan, grated
- 2 tsp Butter
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- Dill, to serve (optional)
- In a deep saucepan, start sautéing the onion in olive oil over a medium heat until soft.
- Add the butter, leeks and garlic to the softened onion until they start to wilt.
- Once the mixture has softened, add the rice and stir the mix, coating the rice in the leek mixture.
- Pour in the wine and let it be absorbed by the rice.
- Once the wine has been absorbed by the mixture, add the stock a ladle at a time, waiting for the stock to be absorbed by the rice before adding the next ladle. Stir throughout this process. Continue the process until the rice is cooked.
- With the last ladle of stock add the peas and prawns. Cook the mixture for 5-to minutes, or until the prawns and peas have cooked through.
- When cooked, stir in the Parmesan. Add a pinch of chopped dill over the top of the mixture to serve. Delicious!
Although it’s tempting to stir all of the stock in at the same time, be patient! Time really is your friend in this recipe!
If you’re not keen on prawns or fish, why not try adding a little chicken or beef? Make sure you add the meat at the beginning of the cooking process (with the onions) to ensure it is cooked thoroughly before serving.