Rudolph Bubble and Squeak Cakes
Buttery-textured Rudolph potatoes with savoy cabbage and leeks in a crisp yet tender patty.
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 Blas y Tir leek, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 750g Blas y Tir Rudolph potatoes
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed (optional)
- ½ Blas y Tir Savoy cabbage washed
- 4 tbsp seasoned plain flour
- Peel, chop and cook the potatoes until they’re soft. Drain and season well with salt and pepper before roughly mashing.
- Heat the olive oil over a medium heat and gently fry the onion, garlic (if using) and leek until softened. Meanwhile, cut the cabbage into ribbons and plunge it into boiling, salted water for 2 minutes, drain immediately.
- Combine all the vegetables and mix well. Shape the mixture into palm-sized cakes and refrigerate for 30 minutes. When ready to cook roll them in the seasoned flour and fry them gently in olive oil until they are brown and crunchy on the outside but heated through to the middle.
Variations: Delicious served with crispy bacon and topped with a poached egg.