Savoy Cabbage Miso Soup with Shitake Mushroom
Bring a touch of the orient to your lunch or dinner with our delicious Savoy Cabbage Miso Soup with Shitake Mushroom. A twist on the traditional soup or salad bowl, Miso soup combines a colourful range of vegetables with a deliciously fragrant broth and traditional rice noodles in order to balance a healthy, filling and warming bowl of goodness.
Visit The Tasty Other’s website for more foodie inspiration like this delicious Savoy Cabbage Miso Soup with Shitake Mushroom.
- 30 minutes
- Serves 4
- 5 cups organic Vegetable Broth
- 1/2 teaspoon Chilli Flakes
- 1 thumb-sized piece of ginger, peeled and minced
- 200g Savoy Cabbage, washed and sliced, outer leaves and core removed (about half a medium-sized cabbage)
- 120g fresh Shitake Mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons Dark Soy Sauce
- 2 tablespoons Fish Sauce
- 2 tablespoons Yellow Miso Paste
- 4 medium Eggs at Room tempertaure
- 4 ‘nests’ of Rice Noodles (1 per person)
- 4 medium Eggs at room temperature
- 2 medium Carrots, julienne (cut into matchsticks)
- 2 Spring Onions, thinly sliced
- 1 small Red Chilli, thinly sliced (optional)
- 1/2 bunch fresh Coriander, finely chopped
- Extra Soy Sauce
- Add the ginger and chilli flakes to the stock and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the cabbage and shitake mushrooms to the stock and stir well. Finally, add the soy and fish sauce and miso paste, stir well and cook for about 7 minutes, or until the cabbage and mushrooms are soft. Turn off the hear and let it sit.
- Whilst the soup is sitting, prepare the boiled eggs. Bring a large pot of water to the boil and then add the eggs, whole, carefully. Turn the heat down to medium and cook for 6-6 1/2 minutes.Remove from the pan and submerge into a pot of ice cold water.
- While the eggs are cooking, prepare the noodles. Place them in a large bowl and cover with boiling water. Let them sit for 4 minutes and then drain in a colander and run under cold water. Drain well and divide into 4 warm bowls.
- Top each bowl with the soup and garnish with the carrots, spring onions, chilli slices and fresh coriander. Peel and slice each egg in half and top each bowl and serve.
Hot, spicy, and healthy to boot, this Savoy Cabbage Miso Soup with Shitake Mushrooms recipe is a low calorie winner, and absolutely delicious as well. Make a large batch and serve to friends and family over a weekend!