Shepherd’s Pie Rudolph
Blas y Tir Rudolph potatoes have a vibrant colour and natural sweetness. Their fluffy, creamy texture makes a perfect topping for this savoury Shepherd’s Pie.
- 1 tbsp butter (optional)
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 small onions, finely chopped
- 400g lean minced Welsh lamb
- 500ml lamb stock
- 4 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 4 tbsp tomato puree
- Few thyme springs chopped
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 4 Large Blas y Tir Rudolph potatoes
- 4 tbsp of grated Pembrokeshire Mature Cheddar
- 2 tsp mixed herbs
- Preheat the oven to 200˚C and bake the potatoes for around 50-60 minutes until cooked.
- Sauté the onion and garlic in oil for 3-4 minutes, until softened. Add the mince and continue to fry for a further 5-10 minutes until the mince has browned, pour off excess fat.
- Stir in the stock, Worcestershire sauce, tomato puree, thyme sprigs, mixed herbs and season.
- Gently simmer for 20-30 minutes until the mince is tender and the sauce has thickened.
- Cut the Rudolph potato lengthways and scoop out the flesh into a mixing bowl, leaving the skin intact.
- Mash the scooped out potato and add the butter if using, season well.
- Divide the mince between the potato skins, then cover with the mash.
- Transfer the potatoes onto a suitable baking dish, sprinkle with cheese and bake in the preheated oven for around 20 minutes until bubbling and golden. Serve with seasonal vegetables.