Vegan Macaroni Cheese with Cauliflower
This recipe comes courtesy of Cardiff based food blogger Avant Garde Vegan, who really is making a name for himself in the vegan foodie world.
For many of us, vegan food can sound very daunting, but Gareth (Avant Garde Vegan) finds inspiration and creates exciting new vegan dishes all the time! This Vegan Macaroni Cheese is a delicious version of the old classic and is vegan to boot, bonus!
- 30 minutes
- Serves 2 as a main
- 4 Small Shallots, chopped finely
- 2 Cloves of Garlic, minced
- 1 Leek, chopped finely
- 1/2 Head of Cauliflower cut into florets
- 300g of Macaroni pasta
- 1 tin of Coconut milk
- 50g of Walnuts
- 300ml of Oat milk
- 1 tbs Dijon mustard
- 1 tbs Fresh thyme
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 5 tbs of Nutritional yeast
- Salt & pepper to season
- Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil. Add the pasta and cook to the packet instructions, or until al dente.
- Meanwhile, in a separate saucepan, add a small amount of oil before sauteing the onion, garlic, leek & cauliflower over a low heat, stirring often.
- Put the walnuts and soy milk into a food processor and blitz until smooth, then add to the pan containing the onion mixture to create a sauce.
- Drain the pasta and set aside.
- Add the mustard, paprika and thyme to the sauce, giving a stir before adding the cooked pasta.
- Add the cream of the coconut milk, yeast and a pinch of salt and pepper before cooking over a low heat until thick and creamy.
- Serve immediately, garnishing with a pinch of paprika.
Serve alongside a crunchy green salad, or enjoy on its own in a delicious bowl of comforting goodness.