Warming Broccoli and Leek Soup
This recipe was created for us by Deri Reed, head chef and owner of ‘The Warren’ in Carmarthen, a rustic restaurant that prides itself on using quality local produce, even growing some of it’s own produce on site! He used Blas y Tir leeks and broccoli to create this deliciously thick broccoli and leek soup.
The perfect winter warmer, this soup used seasonal produce to create a flavoursome and filling meal on any day of the week. Even better, it’s so easy to do and you can make more than needed and keep the rest in an airtight container for 3 days in the fridge, bonus!
Best served with a chunk of warm bread or homemade focaccia.
- 30 minutes
- Serves 3
- 2 heads Broccoli
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 leek
- 1 small potato
- 100ml white wine
- 500ml vegetable stock
- pinch of salt & pepper
- Perl Las (blue cheese) (optional)
- Start by washing your leek to avoid any dirt going into your cooking. TOP TIP: take a knife and slice your leek length ways whilst still whole, leaving the root still in tact. The leaves leaves should now separate more easily and you can be sure you’re washing all of the dirt away! Slice your leek and put to one side.
- Remove the florets from the broccoli and slice up finely. Don’t throw away the stalk of the broccoli, instead peel the leftover stalk with a potato peeler and slice the peeled stalk finely. Add the sliced broccoli to the leeks.
- Peel your potato and cut into small chunks.
- Heat a thick based saucepan on a medium heat, add a drop of oil (or knob of butter) to the pan before adding your sliced leeks and broccoli. Fry off the broccoli and leeks until they are starting to brown off in the pan.
- Whilst the broccoli and leeks are cooking, finely chop 1 clove of garlic and add to the mixture, giving a stir.
- Add 100ml of white wine to the mixture almost immediately after the garlic. Cook the wine mix for about 10 seconds (this will ensure the alcohol is burnt off), before adding the vegetable stock and the chunked potato.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer and cook for 5-10 minutes or until everything is cooked.
- Leave the mixture to cool slightly, before using a hand blender to blitz the mixture (be careful at this stage, things can get messy!)
- Season the soup to your taste, adding some Perl Las (blue cheese) if you wish.
Save behind some of the tips of the leeks and fry off in some olive oil until crispy, sprinkle on top of the broccoli and leek soup before serving.