Wonderfully Welsh Onion Cake
Classic family comfort food, a Welsh Onion Cake is a simple mix of sliced potatoes and soft onions, cooked until golden. This traditional version comes to us from food blogger and Britain’s Best Home Cook (ITV 2018) Quarter Finalist, Katie Davies.
“I made this Welsh Onion Cake recipe when I was on the show (Britain’s Best Home Cook), and Mary Berry was a fan!”
Well, if it’s good enough for Mary Berry, then its good enough for us…!
You can visit Katie’s Instagram page here!
- 1hr 30mins
- Serves: 4
- 2 large White Onions
- 750g Blas y Tir Maris Piper Potatoes
- Sprig of fresh Rosemary
- Sprig of fresh Thyme
- 2 fresh Bay Leaves
- Welsh Butter, for frying and greasing
- 150ml Fresh Chicken Stock
- Drizzle of Olive Oil
- Sea Salt & Pepper, to season
- Preheat the oven to 150°, Gas Mark 2/3.
- Finely slice the onions and potatoes with the mandolin, being careful with the sharp edges. If you’re using a knife to slice the potatoes and onions, try to slice as finely as possible.
- Soften the onions in a frying pan with a knob of butter, a drizzle of oil, the fresh herbs and bay leaves. Season with salt & pepper. Leave the mixture to cook slightly without stirring too much in order to give the onions the chance to caramelise.
- Grease a solid cake tin with a little butter. TOP TIP: Do not use a loose-bottomed cake tin, as you will be adding liquid later!
- In a small saucepan melt a generous knob of butter. Remove from the heat once melted.
- Lay one layer of finely sliced potatoes in the bottom of the cake tin. Season slightly and then brush the layer of potatoes with the melted butter. Add a layer of the onion mix, then another layer of potatoes. Continue to layer potatoes, butter, onions, potatoes until the tin is full, ending with a layer of potatoes.
- Top the cake with the bay leaves and gently pour over the stock.
- Carefully place the cake into the oven and cook for approximately 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, increase the temperature to 200°C for another 15 minutes, to brown the top.
- Remove from the oven and serve immediately in the cooking dish.
Welsh Onion Cake is best enjoyed as a side dish to a roast dinner, or as the main event on the dinner table, alongside vegetables or a side salad!