Will Holland’s Velvety Pembrokeshire Earlies Potato Soup
Highlighting the delicious flavour of our unique Pembrokeshire Early Potatoes, award winning chef Will Holland has developed this deliciously smooth and velvety Potato Soup, exclusively for Blas y Tir.
The simple ingredients, paired with the earthy and nutty flavour of our Pembrokeshire Early Potatoes, makes this soup ideal as a starter or a delicious lunchtime treat throughout the summer months.
You can find out more about Will Holland, by visiting the Great British Chefs website here.
- 30 minutes
- Serves 4
- 2 White Onions, diced
- 2 cloves Garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 1kg Blas y Tir Pembrokeshire Early Potatoes, peeled
- 125g Welsh Butter
- Small bunch of fresh Thyme, tied
- 3 Bay Leaves
- 1 litre Semi Skimmed Milk
- 1 litre Cold Water
- Butter, for frying.
- Welsh Sea Salt and White Pepper to season
- 1 Egg yolk
- Mint-infused Oil
- Selection of finely sliced Vegetables
- In a small saucepan, gently sweat the diced onion and chopped garlic in a small amount of butter. Do this over a low heat to prevent the onion and garlic going brown, we want the soup to be as light as possible in colour. Once softened, remove the mix from the heat.
- Roughly chop the peeled Pembrokeshire Early Potatoes and add to a large saucepan. Add the softened onion mix to the potatoes.
- Pour the milk and water over the potato mix. Add the thyme and bay leaves (you will pull these out later before blitzing the soup).
- Bring the mix to a genlte simmer over a low heat for approximately 20-25 minutes, or until the potatoes are soft and cooked.
- Remove the bay leaves and thyme from the mix. Blend the remaining mix until smooth.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Will served his Pembrokeshire Early Potato Soup poured over finely sliced vegetables (Savoy Cabbage, Spring Onions and Cauliflower) and served with one poached egg yolk. Drizzle with the mint oil and enjoy!
Alternatively… a slice of good quality Sourdough bread spread with Welsh butter works brilliantly on the side!