Winter Vegetable Stew with Brown Rice
When in the midst of winter, we’re all looking for comforting soul food. A bowl of goodness that will warm us through, as well as being nutritious and delicious… look no further than our Winter Vegetable Stew with Brown Rice. Fill the slow cooker in the morning and come back to the ultimate mid-week meal, perfect for the whole family. What’s more, this is a vegan recipe, so can be enjoyed by all your friends and family!
This recipe was created for us by food blogger ‘The Balanced Kitchen’. You can find out more about ‘The Balanced Kitchen’ and discover more of her delicious, hearty and healthy recipes by visiting her Instagram page HERE, or visiting her website HERE.
- 20 minutes prep, 6hrs cook time.
- Serves 4
- 1 large Sweet Potato, peeled and diced
- 2 Carrots, peeled and diced
- 3 Savoy Cabbage leaves, washed, stalks removed, and shredded
- 2 Courgettes, washed and diced
- 1 Onion, diced
- 2 stalks Celery, ends removed and washed
- 2 cups Brown Rice, rinsed under running water in a sieve
- 2 Vegetable Stock Cubes
- 2 tsp Cinnamon
- 2 tsp sweet Smoked Paprika
- 3 sprigs fresh Rosemary
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 tbsp Rapeseed oil
- Fill a kettle and boil the water.
- Place the oil, onion, celery, carrots and sweet potato in a large pan with a lid. Cook on the lowest heat for 10 mins. Give the pan a shake, while holding the lid on the pan, to ensure the bottom layer does not burn.
- Place the contents, plus all the remaining ingredients into a slow cooker.
- Pour in the boiled water until all ingredients are covered.
- Place the lid firmly on the slow cooker and cook on high for 2 hours, then turn down the setting to low for a further 3-4 hours until all the ingredients are cooked. Add more water throughout the cooking as required, and stir the ingredients to ensure even cooking.
- Serve immediately.
Store any leftovers in the fridge and re-heat the next day, making sure the mix is piping hot throughout.